Due to the large quantity of mortar needed for a number of applications, and increase efficiency while reducing loss of material, Saudi Readymix was hired to produce and deliver ready-mixed mortar for the project (under the following requirements):
- The mix is to be suitable for all mortar uses in the project such as, but not limited to, plastering, block and tile works.
- It needs to have a prolonged setting time for the mix to remain workable for an extended period and to ensure that the necessary quantities are delivered to the site in one trip per day.
- Lastly, it should harden quickly after used in work.
- This was the first time such a mix is produced in Saudi Arabia (no past experience or local record on the subject).
- The client insisted that the mortar should be suitable for all uses.
- The nature of the mix is very sensitive to environmental factors (namely, wind and temperature reduce the setting time significantly).
- Delivery then placing and storing the mix at different locations around the site area and distributed evenly and close to all workers.
- To resolve the issue of first time mix, Saudi Readymix conducted a lot of experiments and tested plenty of trial mixes and mix designs to reach the desired results.
- A special type of chemical admixture was discovered and used to produce a mix that has a minimum setting time of 36 hours.
- Special cube shaped containers 0.5m³ thick were used to store the mortar at the site. The containers allowed for the mortar to be moved, lifted and stored to, and on, different locations on site.
- To prevent the loss of moisture in the mix, the containers were lined and covered with nylon (cling/PVDC) sheets.